How retailers can benefit from electric vehicle charging
In 2020, 740 000 electric cars were sold in Europe. In 2021, the number was 1,2 million – a 60% increase. By 2030, estimates suggest that 80 % of all newly registered vehicles will be electric. As these vehicles hit the roads, a massive expansion of charging infrastructure is necessary. If you are a retailer, this represents a great opportunity, as it allows you to benefit from electric mobility – with high-power chargers installed at your property.
Why consider a charging station on your property?
Becoming a part of a new industry is exciting, but there are also many rational reasons to consider placing a high-powered EV charger on your property. Here are the most important ways it benefits the tenants, be it shops, restaurants, or other businesses, therefore making your property more valuable:
- Traffic: It brings more potential customers to the businesses on your property. People plan trips around charging stations, making them a natural stopping point.
- Sales: Even a short time spent charging can be spent spending. Modern chargers are fast, but drivers still have time for shopping, having a coffee or grabbing a bite to eat.
- Loyalty: It will increase the loyalty of existing customers and attract new ones. This will benefit both the businesses and landowners, who will see more interest in their property. The early adopters will have an advantage compared to those who will stay behind.
- Property Value: Charging infrastructure will be more and more important in the coming years, positively affecting the real-estate value of and around the location.
- Image & Reputation: Finally, sustainability. Having an EV charger on the property is a way to demonstrate commitment to environmental causes, both for the landowner and for the businesses at the location.
Modern chargers are fast, but drivers still have time for shopping, having a coffee or grabbing a bite to eat.
A fast customer is still a customer
Typically, a car equipped for high-speed charging or in need of just a quick top-up will spend anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes at the charger. Those with smaller battery capacities or lower-powered onboard chargers may have to stay longer. More importantly, once they’re parked, they’d be tempted to make use of the stop, possibly staying longer to grab a coffee, lunch, or just go shopping.
More customers mean more opportunities for local businesses. Installing slow chargers might seem enough for those who have time to wait. However, people prefer speed even if they don’t need it, so the high-powered chargers are the way to go – and for many, they will become the default option. Once they get used to the location, many of them will make it a habit to charge there even when they’re not in a hurry – and therefore have time to make further purchases.
Top-up the real estate value
Of course, the charging stations do not serve just the customers. With the share of electric cars soaring, the availability of state-of-the-art charging stations that come along with exceptional customer support, will be a tremendous advantage for tenants, their employees, and even for you as the landowner.
The potential of this micro business ecosystem should drive up the value of real estate around the location, increasing profits for business owners and therefore making the property more valuable and profitable. Getting a charging station on your property today means enjoying a competitive advantage tomorrow.
Why choose IONITY for your property?
We represent a big chunk of the electric vehicle market
As our shareholder companies manufacture a big part of EVs available in Europe, their drivers will prefer IONITY, and our sites will also be suggested by their navigation systems. This also means you will have the latest state-of-the-art technology installed at your site, making it future proof.
We bring award-winning design
Our chargers unique design really stands out and adds a futuristic touch to the premises. At night, they are even more attention-grabbing, and they also provide lighting for their surroundings, making it safer.
We cover all expenses
As our network continues to grow, we keep seeking new suitable sites to rent or buy. With IONITY on your site, you can be assured that we take care of everything from design, connection, permissions, and construction to the operation of your high-power charging site. And we pay for all the costs.
Read more about what we can offer and be part of the IONITY network.